Tuesday, June 27, 2006

ITUNEs and The Wondrous Cross

I was doing the ITunes Shuffle today and came across this tune. It is one of my favorites. This version is sung by Kathryn Scott. It is hauntingly beautiful and never fails to let me know just how unworthy I am to recieve God's grace.

A lyric that really hit home with me. "all the vain things that charm me most. I sacrifice them to his blood." Just how important is my stuff compared to what he did for me? There are things I obsess over. I want to have this or that. Or, Man, I have Got to get me one of those! Ipod shuffle wasn't good enough for me. I had to get the NANO. What does it matter?

My latest obsession has been for a new mountain bike. Of course I can't ride it right now but that hasn't stopped me from managing a way to get it. All the vain things that charm me most. Really don't matter do they? I can't take my Ipod or my bike with me can I? Why don't I turn that energy to helping others more?

Jesus said in Matthew 25, 34-36

Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you fed me. I was thirsty and you gave me a drink. I was a stanger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gve me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited Me.

He wasn't talking just about Himself, he was speaking of his sheep, us. What have we done today for another? What have we done to serve our neighbor?
What can I do? I don't have time for a project. I have kids and a job.

When was the last time you gave a real thank you to someone who has provided a service for you? A smile, a pat on the back and a genuine thank you can go a long way to make someone smile. Shoot, to make someones day!

If you are leaving the grocery store. Walk your cart back to the front of the store. (nobody will know but you) Save the cart guy a pinch of work. Give out a complement, a smile, a thanks. Make somebody's day today just by doing that little extra.

I went to my first sales training meeting since the surgery yesterday. We had a rah rah session on an old cliched training gimmick. 211 and 212.

Give up? 211 is hot water, 212 is when water boils. One degree difference. Just that smidge and you have steam. Steam can move mountains. Can power a locomotive.

Football is considered a game of inches. An inch here or their and you have a first down. Just one extra base hit each game can be the difference between the minor leagues and a player going to the show. An extra second a lap can mean the checkered flag in Nascar.

So little infinitesimal increases make all the differences in the world don't they? Try doing one thing extra this week and making it a part of your routine. See what kind of a difference you can make in someone else's life. Then see the difference in yours.

Wow can you believe all that from a song?


Cool!

By the way, the lyrics are posted below.


Larry


WHEN I SURVEY (The Wondrous Cross)
Isaac Watts

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride

Forbid it Lord that I should boast
Save in the death of Christ my God
All the vain things that charm me most
I sacrifice them to His blood

See from His head His hands His feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did ere such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown

Were the whole realm of nature mine
That were an offering far too small
Love so amazing so divine
Demands my soul
Demands my soul
Love demands my soul
My life my all

Traditional - Public Domain
This Arrangement copyright 2003 Vertical Worship Songs

c/o Vertical Music, 1000 Cody Road, Mobile, AL 36695

No comments:

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com