Monday, June 19, 2006

Child-Like Faith in Christianity

Child-Like faith, what is it?
Knowing that your daddy can take care of anything?
Is it when my daughter says "thank you Jesus!" while she keeps Mario from falling into the abyss in a game of Super Mario brothers?


Child-Like faith, how do we get it back? How do we keep it and what does it have to do with recovery.


First off Jesus says in Mark 10, 14-15 "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I assure you, anyone who doesn't have their kind of faith will never get into the Kingdom of God."

How difficult is it for an adult to be wide eyed and innocent? Childishly believing that things will always turn out ok? By the time most of us reach our middle twenties to thirties we have been exposed to most of the negative things life has to offer. Sex, drinking, drugs, divorce, mtv etc. How easy is it for us to surrender? To throw our arms up to God and say "Lord save me!."

When my Lexie was a baby she would walk to me and put her hands up in the air. She wanted me to pick her up and comfort her. I loved that feeling. That feeling of absolute trust. Her knowing that everything would be perfect if daddy could hold her. That my friends is childlike faith.

Don't you think God feels the same about us? He longs for nothing more than us to raise our hands to him for comfort and security. For us to know that everything will be all right if we just have faith and trust in Him.

Surrender is a very difficult concept for most people. In our society to surrender is to lose. However in our faith and recovery to surrender is to win. Surrendering and admitting we are powerless is the first step on the road to recovery. We are on our way to the finish line.

Whether we are new in recovery or have been in it for years, we have to maintain our childlike faith in our Higher Power, Jesus Christ. To give him our hurts, habits, and hangups. To just say I can't Father, please take it. I know for me that was the turning point in my recovery. We were down and out. At our last straw. I remember getting on my knees and praying, "Lord I can't do anything about this. Only you can, Lord take it, fix it, because I just don't know what else to do." I had heard someone talking about "giving it to God" in a meeting. In the next few days, out of the blue I was offered the job of a lifetime. We found a new place to live and we found the resources we needed to move. This was in the infancy of my return to faith. I was and still am a child in the way I prayed and gave up those problems to God.

Is it always that way? I wish. Partly because I take a lot of my issues back the next day. I give one thing up to God and continue to work on the rest myself. Thats not what He wants. He wants me totally reliant upon Him. That is hard for anyone Thank God for the Holy Spirit that lives inside us, teaching and convicting us. Each day I get a bit better at it.

Just because we admit we are powerless does not mean we become victims though. Admitting our powerlessness is an honest appraisal of our situation in life and a good first step in our recovery.


Larry




5 comments:

Mandylea said...

Very insightfull post. I would just like to add my two cents. I believe that in order to be a good mother, good wife, strong in my recovery/healing process I must turn all things over to God. I must admit to Him that I cannot do it by myself and ask Him to take the burden. What I have learned in life is that when I do that, God does not take the burden completly away, rather He lifts it making my eyes and heart more open and vulnerble to His will and direction for my life that that moment. At that point, the situation has gone from being a situtaion "handled by an independant contractor" to being "managed by a partnership". Oh, to have childlike faith like my daughter and to be able to put into action all that I have just posted as easily as it sounds. I guess we always must have something to strive for!

mandylea

Helen Losse said...

I appreciate what you are saying, Larry. But I think it's impossible for adults to be "wide eyed and innocent." (We've seen, smelled, tasted, and done too much to go back.) And there's big difference between being child-like and childish. What I strive for is purity and wonder. I think those are reasonable goals, like being justified. I don't mean this to be "fighting about words." So if it seems like it is, please ignore me.

Mandylea said...

You make a great point Helen.


mandylea

Larry said...

I don't think those are fighting words at all. You make my point. That was part of what I was saying. It is very difficult to have that kind of faith. Especially when many of us are scarred with life experience. We do have examples though, The woman who annointed Christ with perfume. Zacheus(sp)climbing the sycamore tree. How hard was it for the roman to come and plead for the life of his slave? It is tough but possible.


Larry

John Darrow said...

Larry, my sweetie Linda (blahblahblog) pointed me to your site because she knew I'd enjoy your self-disclosure writing and manner of talking about things of God.

The other night, I wrote about a book I'm enjoying, Blue Like Jazz. Lest I repeat myself here, I'll just point you to the specific post about the book. I mention it just because I think you (and others here?) would love it and you might be inspired to write a book like that, too...kinda like you're already doing! Keep it up.

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com