Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Making Sense


Moments of clarity. The light bulb comes on. Something clicks, and suddenly you get it.
How does this happen? How do we get away from the foundational things Jesus has given us? Then suddenly we get it again?



I know what I have to do in my life, but dang it, I don't. I know what He wants from me, I fight.
The verse in the song Hold Me Jesus is so me.
"I'd rather fight You for something I don't really want than to take what You give that I need."

I am like grandpa's mule who needed a two by four to get him moving. The call is there but I will not pick up the phone. I will not listen to the messages either because I don't want to hear them. So they pile up.








Paul said it best.
"I know that nothing good lives in me. That is my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is right, but I cannot carry it out.

I don't want to be blinded to get it. I don't want to be swallowed by a fish either.
I better shut up and know He is God.

I want to thank Shirley Buxton for awarding me the Thinking Blogger Award. It means a lot coming from her. I admire her writing a great deal and for her to say I write beautifully was a wonderful compliment. Even more is her support and her prayers. So watch out fellow bloggers this award will be coming to five blogs that really make me go "hmmm." (I can't help being a cornball.)



The history behind this award can be found here.

Larry

10 comments:

shirley buxton said...

Larry, NEVER STOP FIGHTING. When you fail, pick yourself up, dust off the debris and trudge on. You have located the supreme words in the Bible that speak to this issue. Paul, the writer of the majority of the New Testament, had the same struggles as do you, and as do I. Our failures may wear different faces from each other, but ALL of us struggle, fall, and yet again--ARISE! Keep at it.

Thank you for your kind words and your friendship.

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

DeadMule said...

Hi Larry, Cool Mule! Glad Shirley, chose to award you this award. Much love, Helen

John Kaiser said...

"I don't want to be blinded to get it. I don't want to be swallowed by a fish either."

Amen brother. Me too!

P said...

Hey Larry, thanks for visiting me again....its such a blessing to know other fellow recovers are supporting one another...

Am blessed for you that you got an award..I must say i dol ike the look of your blog today...YEH!

Keep on keeping on bro...it all works out in the end...

Mandylea said...

Larry-boy (see I can be funny too!!),
You are not alone in feeling like you are getting it but not and I too do not want ot get swallowed by a big ole fish, but you know sometimes God has to put us in our place to get our attention sometimes.

mandylea

BTW...still lovin' CRkvrzdk

Mandylea said...

Larry-boy.....where are those awards?

Jack Mercer said...

Larry,

I remember growing up. As a young man, when faced with trial, discouragement, doubt, failure, my father would say to me:

"Jack, you're looking at the wrong man."

I knew what he was saying all that time, that basically I shouldn't look at myself, my failure but instead see the regenerated work of Christ in me--that the man I should be looking at was Christ, but I really didn't get it all of those years.

I can't remember the many times he told me that, and I never really got it, it never really hit me until I was in my late thirties. It was a point in my life when I had hit rock bottom. Life (seemingly) couldn't have gotten any worse, and I was defeated spiritually and physically. It was in that broken state, where I wanted the earth to fall in upon me, that my father's words came to me.

"Jack, you're looking at the wrong man."

It was at that time that it dawned on me that I had NEVER looked at the right man. My eyes, my focus, everything about me was centered in myself or those around me, and it was the origin and cause of my defeat. Satan had blinded my mind, kept me from turning my eyes upon the author and finisher of me. I had never really looked at the one who was the reason I was.

Turning my eyes upon Jesus I found that--

I am unlovely, but the object of infinite love.

I am worthless, but of immeasurable worth.

I am failure, but complete success.

I am fallen and defeated--Romans 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.--and yet high and lifted up, eternally triumphant, a child of the King and Creator of this Universe!

Larry, now I realize that my failures are for a reason, my frailties are for His glory, and my life 100% in his loving hands.

Look at the right man, Larry!

God bless,

-Jack

Ellen said...

Thank you for such an awesome thought provoking blog. That is one of my absolutely favorite song lyrics - I so often fight him for stuff i don't really want. Peace, brother.

Larry said...

I will never give up the fight.

Jack I am for sure trying daily to keep my eyes on the right man.

Mandy, I am working on the awards. LOL You know, I have never heard that Larry-boy before. LOL. Keep up the CR.

Ellen, thanks for the compliment!

Blessings!

Larry

Mandylea said...

Larry-boy...what with all those kiddos around you don't watch Veggie Tales??????

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com